Saturday, December 15, 2007

DECEPTIVELY DELICIOUS

This is sort of a book review, promotion etc... that I am undertaking. Firstly, let me say that I am not a fan of 'celebrity' anything, especially cookbooks. But, I read about this one, and then I got it out of the library, and now I am VERY tempted to buy it. Deceptively Delicious is by Jessica Seinfeld, wife of Jerry. She has written this book about 'hiding' vegetables so that your kids eat them without knowing.
Basically, she purees everything (sweet potato, squash, pineapple, spinach, avocado, carrots etc) then freezes it in 1/2 cup amounts, then adds it to everything from tacos to chocolate cake.
And, tonight, eating our tacos, it worked. The meat sauce is made up of ground beef, crushed tomatoes, taco seasoning and 1/2 cup butternut squash puree. You don't taste it, don't see it, and eat it.
In saying all of this hurrah, I must also note that my girls do eat their vegetables, even when they look like vegetables, but it is also kind of a nice way to add more and try new things.
I currently have sweet potato, butternut squash and cauliflower purees resting nicely in my freezer.
So, those with picky eaters, try this out, and those without picky eaters, it gets more veges into you and your kids, and less high fructose corn syrup and soy extract into them, which is a very good thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home